- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup pecan halves, or to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Separate the eggs and set aside.
- Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk. Cream 1/2 cup of the butter or margarine with the white sugar. Add the egg yolks, and vanilla, beating well. Add flour alternately with the mashed bananas. Stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Stir the pecans into the cake batter then fold in the egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until cakes test done. Let cakes cool in pans.
- To Make Icing: Cream 3 tablespoons butter or margarine with the confectioners’ sugar. Stir in the heavy cream until well blended. Spread icing on to cooled cake layers. Top with pecan halves if desired.